Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:27:44 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Steve Gladstone" <steve_gladstone@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How much disk space is required when installing  FreeBSD 4.7

Hi!

> I intend to make my system dual boot Windows and FreeBSD.
> I have shrunk the existing partition to around 3GB using Partition Magic and
> left just over 1GB for FreeBSD.
>
> I want to install at least an 'average user' distribution including X
> Windows.
>
> How should the slice be partitioned into file systems and swap space given
> that I will be running in single user mode?

1 GB is pretty tight if you want to run X. But it should be possible,
given that I recently installed FreeBSD 4.7 + XFree86 4.2.1 + KDE 3.0.5
on a machine with 1.2 + 0.8 GB disks (of which the latter is dedicated
to /home). I even rebuilt the world and compiled all the stuff from
ports - this took several days on that ole' P166 :-)

For that small a disk I'd recommend just creating two partitions - swap
(I know everybody blindly tells you to use RAMx2, but in my experience
you can get by with a *lot* less) and a / partition.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.