Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2015 18:03:38 +0300
From:      Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin+bsd@citrin.ru>
To:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR

On 06/24/15 17:29, Adam Weinberger wrote:]
> Given that all these ports fetch just fine with just MASTER_SITES= CPAN, I'd
> like to remove all the MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=CPAN:USERNAME lines from the perl@
> ports.
>
> Is there a reason not to do this?

Yes, there are.

1. Many modules is not included in by-module index.

First found example is devel/p5-CommitBit
I don't know why.

2. In CPAN only one user/author can be namespace owner. Bot perl module with
same name can be uploded by other authors:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html

In most cases we want to use in ports code from primary maintainer and it is
better to use:

MASTER_SITES= CPAN

But in case when module no longer supported by original author and there is
newer version by other author (who don't bother with resetting namespace
ownership) module in
MASTER_SITES= CPAN:USERNAME
can be newer (and preferred to use) than module in
MASTER_SITES= CPAN

So please don't blindly change CPAN:USERNAME to CPAN - test in each case, that
you will fetch same code.