Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:18:40 -0500
From:      Drew Raines <drew-dated-1028408273.35d3a8@rain3s.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Striped Vinum on two drives

I have a machine with two hard drives:

   ad0  Maxtor     13 GB
   da0  Fujitsu    36 GB

I'd like to create root, swap, and usr partitions on the
beginning of ad0, and have the rest of the drive, as well as all
of da0 be one giant 45 GB filesystem.  Something like:

   ad0  /
        swap
        /usr
        /bigfs
   da0  /bigfs (cont.)

I read Bob Van Valzah's bootstrapping guide and successfully
created a Vinum-powered system with / on ad0 and /rootback on
da0, etc., etc..  I intended to just wet my feet before
customizing my configuration.

Unfortunately, I'm still unsure of how to get to where I'm going
after doing this.  In fact, I'm wondering if what I want is too
simple for Vinum, or even ccd.  So is this worth doing?  Won't I
be able to resize and move filesystems around afterward?  Also,
*can* I do it?  I just want the two spindles to look like one
disk, striping the data accordingly.

Drew