Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 03:25:45 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        capriotti@geocities.com (Capriotti)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW Rules

On Sun, 10 May 1998 18:49:40 -0300, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>I am actually trying to understand the filtering mechanism to, next apply
>it to:
>
>filter netbios (I don't want it to cause ppp to dial, and I don't want
>strangers to access it; Actually there's something about it in the archives)

marble# grep -i netbio /etc/services
netbios-ns      137/tcp    #NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/udp    #NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp    #NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp    #NETBIOS Session Service

ipfw add 3000 deny tcp from any to any 139 via ed2
ipfw add 3000 deny udp from any to any 139 via ed2

would block netbios Session services on the ed2 interface...

>filter what will in or out via ppp (do I have to make this kind of rule
>refere to tun0 or sio0 ?)

Yes

>allow acess to secure shell and not telnet

ipfw add 4000 deny log tcp from any to any 23 in recv fxp0

would deny inbound telnet sessions on port 23... Or simply just take
it out of inetd.

	---Mike