Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 02:22:33 +0000
From:      "Terje Oseberg" <oseberg@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot Loader Hard Disk Size Limitations

About a year ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.0 onto a 60 gig hard drive and thus
discovered that the Boot Loader does not support very large hard disks.

Now it appears that FreeBSD 4.5 is available, but after searching google and
freebsd.org and all the release notes from 4.0 to 4.5, I've found nothing
that says anything about hard disk size limitations.

I did however find, "The FreeBSD boot loader is now capable of booting from
filesystems with 16K disk blocks (the old limit was 8K)." on the
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN77 page and, "The
FreeBSD boot loader is now capable of booting from filesystems with block
sizes larger than 8K. [MERGED]" on the
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/DP1/relnotes-i386.html page.

I'm wondering if these changes might allow FreeBSD to boot from very large
hard disks. I would like to boot from an 80GB drive.

A year ago when I installed FreeBSD 4.0 on a 60GB hard disk, and found that
the boot loader didn't work, my solution was to have FreeBSD boot from a
100Meg hard drive and use the 60GB for all the other partitions. This worked
fine, but this time there will be no room for any extra hard drives in the
system.

I hope that someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks, Terje