Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 14:34:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      graaf@iae.nl
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        graaf@iae.nl
Subject:   NAS with PCM driver?

Hi all,

I am trying to record sound with the Network Audio System port (1.2p5)
and it is not really working. Lots of skipping sounds with the
recording. Playing sound files with NAS works fine. I am running FreeBSD
3.2-STABLE of around May 18, my soundcard is a SB 64 PCI. The sound
drivers report the following on bootup:

es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on pci0.10.0
pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xd800

In the boot messages I see nothing else using IRQ 9.

I have tried different recording speeds (44100, 32000, 8000) and the
problem happens at all speeds. I have both a SCSI disk and an IDE one,
I have tried saving the recorded sound on both drives, and this also
made no difference.

The command line I am using for aurecord is the following:
aurecord -file wave -data AuFormatLinearSigned16LSB \
  -rate 32000 -mode line test.wav

Are there known problems with the PCM driver and the NAS system? Or is
anyone using this combination succesfully for recording audio? Is there
some other recording utility that will work better with the PCM driver?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions you may have.

Best regards,
Edwin de Graaf