Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:11:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        kstewart@owt.com (Kent Stewart)
Cc:        blair.wagner@cci-triad.com (Blair Wagner), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Multi-OS install of FreeBSD: HELP!

> Blair Wagner wrote:
>
> > Hello guru's,
> >
> > Please help me install FreeBSD on my PC, co-resident with Win2k.
> >
> > I'm preparing to install FreeBSD v4.6 on my AMD 1.4Ghz Athlon at home.
> > However, this machine currently has Windows 2000 Pro installed - using
> > all of the 40GB EIDE hard disk space.
> >
> > ... [Lots cut out]
> >
> > In the perfect world, I'd like to shrink the Win2K partition to 20GB,
> > and allocate the remaining 20GB to FreeBSD on my one and only EIDE hard
> > disk drive. However, the documentation suggests I'm going to have
> > trouble. I do NOT wish to change the BIOS setting for ">1024cyl" or
> > "LBA" each time I boot. I don't know how to boot Win2K into DOS mode to
> > use the FBSDBOOT.EXE.

> You are reading old docs. I only have one machine that has a drive
> smaller than 8.4GB, which is cylinder 1024 with LBA turned on. The
> rest are on 20-80GB drives and half of them are installed starting
> around 15-20GB in on the drive.

YES.  I wish someone who really knows about the insides of current
machines, BIOS, boot blocks, devices and even Microsloth stuff  would
completely rewrite the documentation to this part of things.  Even in
new editions of FreeBSD books I have been searching the information
still talks only about old methods and limits that just by accident I
have discovered to be no longer valid or meaningful (but I don't know
what the real limits and requirements are now).

So, please please, someone make my wish come true.  (and also put
the notice of publishing where we can't miss it.  If it is really
good information and understandably written, I would even spend some
of my own money on it)

////jerry