Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:06:49 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wolfgang <GeneralP.Fault@gmx.net>
Subject:   Re: Multiboot questions

10/13/2002 6:03:55 AM, wolfgang <GeneralP.Fault@gmx.net> wrote:

>i have a computer with 3 OS's on it: win98 on ad0s1, freebsd 4.7 on
ad0s3 and
>linux on ad2s2. ad2 is too big to be handled correctly by the bios, so
there
>is a disk manager installed to the master boot record of ad0.

Arrgh.  Disk managers (a/k/a "disk manglers" for good reason) tend to
really screw things up IMO.  Do I assume correctly that there is no
updated BIOS available that would see all of ad2?

>i boot linux via windows' config.sys and loadlin.exe without problems. i
tried
>to do the same with fbsdboot.exe with freebsd, but that doesnt seem to
work,

You're correct.  That won't work.

>so i now use a floppy with the uniload boot loader from
>http://www.simon.org.ua/uniload/ to boot freebsd.
>each time freebsd has run, the freebsd slice ad0s3 is set active, but
freebsd
>won't boot from it: Error loading OS.
>1. can i change that so that the freebsd slice is fully bootable? maybe
by
>installing grub to that slice? i would prefer that solution since i could
>then use grub also to be able to boot the other OS's.
>2. is there a way to boot freebsd from DOS, how exactly would i use
>fbsdboot.exe?
>
>regards,
>wolfgang

The FreeBSD boot loader (booteasy) will allow you to boot FreeBSD,
Win98, and Linux.  If you'd like to use it, just install it on both hard
drives, using a FreeBSD boot floppy or CD-ROM to boot into FreeBSD,
then install booteasy from the /stand/sysinstall menu or boot0cfg.  Or
you can install grub if that's your preference - it should work nicely to
boot all 3 OSs.  Read the grub documentation *carefully* to see how to
set up your system to do this.

To summarize:  You can install the FreeBSD boot loader, or grub from
FreeBSD or Linux, to do what you want.  The only methods that *won't*
work are the Win98 and DOS-based methods you've tried or asked
about.

Proviso: If neither booteasy nor grub works, it could be a problem
caused by the disk "mangler."

Jud