Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:07:22 -0400
From:      Nils Holland <ncptiddische@compuserve.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail problem

I seem to have a small problem with Sendmail. Actually, everything works
fine, except that Sendmail tells me gethostbyaddr(10.0.0.1) failed: 1 eve=
ry
time eMail is being sent. The eMail is, however, correctly being delivere=
d.

I think that this must have something to do with the way I've configured
ppp. I've configured it to dial automatically and one line of my
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf file says something like add ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0... I
suspect that this line might cause the problem since the real IP-adress o=
my system is 192.168.0.1. I did, however, think that the add ifaddr line =
in
ppp.conf wouldn't play a big role anyways, since my computer will get a
dynamically assigned IP-adress everytime it dials in anyway.

So what do I have to do to fix the problem with sendmail? Should I write =
my
real IP-adress (the satic one of the Ethernet Interface, not the dynamic
one of the PPP-connection) in ppp.conf? Or should I add an entry in
/etc/hosts that assigns both the IP-Adresses 192.168.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 to =
my
machine so that Sendmail *should* be able to lookup my host name?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nils