Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:14:54 -0800
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathan Anderson <jonathan@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing build metadata, for reproducible kernel builds

On Thursday, December 03, 2015 06:11:27 PM Jonathan Anderson wrote:
> > Reproducibility is good for some people, and completely useless for=

> > others, and the people who need it aren't going to mind turning on =
> > knob or two to get what they want.
>=20
> Possibly. I don't have any strong opinions on whether the default is=20=

> "reproducible" or "full of information that helps me identify busted=20=

> kernels=E2=80=9D, just so long as "reproducible" is available and eas=
y to turn=20
> on. And my personal opinion is that it should be turned on for public=
=20
> releases: I think that being able to validate the kernel is more=20
> important than knowing what machine it was built on.

FYI, I think most folks agree that releases should be reproducible (and=

in particular the release bits that are shipped).  I think the primary
question people have raised is what the default behavior is if someone
is building a kernel themselves vs a kernel from an ISO or freebsd-upda=
te.

Secondly, the whole kgdb/crashinfo thing does sort of matter if we want=

users to have usable crash summaries when reporting bugs on release
installs.  (crashinfo matters more here than kgdb -n's hackish thing,
and crashinfo just needs 'version' to be unique)

--=20
John Baldwin