Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:57:45 -0400
From:      Joe Kraft <jvk-list@thekrafts.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        frzburn@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Fetching sources from Windows?

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:45:55PM -0500, frzburn wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I have a slow Internet connection at home, and I would like to know if it is
>> possible to fetch the STABLE sources from somewhere else (ex.: at work).
>> What I want is to get the latest sources, like described in the handbook (
>> http://www.ca.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html),
>> even if it means downloading all of it, since there no way to diff with my
>> current source...
>
> Basically, that is what I do.  I only have a regular old phone modem at home.
> I take my home machine in to the office where I have a reliable 100 Mb/s
> and do my installs there.   The only problem is fixing up IPs and host
> names.
>
> If I ever get rich and get a laptop with significant disk, I can just
> carry that and pull everything down to it and take it home to work
> on the desktop machine - or I could get one of those nice big USB drives
> and download everything to that.
>
> ////jerry

I have a computer that's not connected to the internet that I keep up to
date using CTM.  I've subscribed to one of the ctm-XXX mail list with my
work address and I just save the messages to a relatively small USB
memory stick from the windows machine.  Once I have the updates on there
I bring the stick home and run ctm-rmail and it updates my source tree.

It would have been even easier if I was able to get ftp access to get
the CTM updates directly without resorting to using e-mail for the transfer.

Setting it up is discussed in the handbook, I've only been doing it for
a couple of weeks, but it seems to work for me.

Joe.