Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:21:43 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CPU Temperature (was Re: A curious dmesg output entry)

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:07:40PM -0400, Jud wrote:

> After trying and failing to get the xmbmon port to
> work, I found that the author has a 2.0 version of
> xmbmon available at his website.  It's FreeBSD native,
> supports the latest motherboards, and is quite easy to
> install.  No extra SMBus stuff needed in the kernel.
> I just had to remove "disable" in the kernel line re
> APM and put apm_enable="1" (or was it "YES?") in
> /etc/rc.conf.

Curious.  I wonder why xmbmon-2.0 isn't in ports yet?  The need, or
not for SMBus support in the kernel depends on exactly which chipset
you have on your motherboard.  Mine isn't supported through the ISA
bus, even with version 2.0, but the SMBus stuff just works.

> The author also has FVCool, a CPU cooling utility.  It
> reduces my CPU temp by 14 or 15 degrees C (from 46 to
> 32 or 31).  Again, it's native and easy to install.
> (BTW, yes I do have CPU_SUSP_HLT in my kernel options.
>  This utility is obviously doing something the kernel
> option isn't.  The author says the same thing the
> utility does can be accomplished with pciconf, but I
> don't know how.)

Wow --- how cool is that?  Well, according to my temperature monitors,
it's 17.3 degC down from the previous day's average.  Doing the same
job with pciconf is a matter of working out by hand what registers to
alter on which device, but why bother when fvcool already knows the
answers?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way