Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 16:36:51 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        "J. Goodleaf" <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: damn java installation

J. Goodleaf wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been trying to install the jdk13 and the linux jdk13 from ports, but the install hangs on gettext 0.11.1. The core error message is:
>
>Can't find default package 'java.lang'
>
>Contextually, it looks to me like the javacomp script is trying to compile a java file, DumpClass.java and hanging because of CLASSPATH problems. Now I've set that variable a few times, adding all kinds of paths to it, but I appear not to have hit on the answer. I saw this question raised in the archives, but didn't find an answer to it.
>
>Am using 4.5-RELEASE, with ports upgraded as of May 28.
>
>Pls cc me directly.
>
>Thanks,
>John

John,
I looked at this message this morning (I just installed the jdk13 port
without any problems) and didn't have a clue.  I have an idea, however.
 Check out the /usr/ports/distfiles and delete the tar's for the jdk13
port...  I had a problem with a mozilla install that kept hanging on me.
 After cvsup'ing, praying, waving the incense candles, I finally thought
that maybe one of the files was corrupted during the download.  That
must have been the case, because afterwards, the make install ran fine.
 (Make sure you also run a make clean to get rid of the work directory.)
I can't think of anything else...

hth,
Steve