Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: mergemaster tips

Is there any way to get mergemaster to automagically 'i'nstall over files
that you haven't touched without any user intervention?

I guess the problem here is that mergemaster is only designed to have
access to the currently checked out copy of /usr/src/etc, so it doesn't
know what state the file 'should' be in, is that correct?

What'd be really nice would be if mergemaster could automagically merge
the changes that you've made on the system with the changes from the
previous CVS version.  Obviously you could get a conflict and have to
manually merge the changes, but in a lot of cases this could probably be
minimized...

Could you have mergemaster save copies of the pristine /usr/src/etc files
locally on the system somewhere (in /var?) when it finishes?  Then use
that the next time it runs to figure out more stuff that it can do
automagically?