Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:04:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      arromdee@inetnow.net
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uudx

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Doug White wrote:
> > How do I tell what the license is on a FreeBSD source file?
> Look at the top -- the copyright is in every file.  Most are covered under
> the BSD license.

The following is the top of the file uudx.c.

/*
 *      uudx - extractor from uuencoded files
 *
 *      Written by AssistantIO
 */

#define COMMAND         "uudx"
#define VERSION         "ver. 2.99"

I should point out that this program is not itself on www.freebsd.org.
What is on the freeBSD site is a makefile pointing to
ftp://ftp.ae.keio.ac.jp/pub/msdos/archivers/uu/ .  There is also a maintainer
address of pcs51674@asciinet.or.jp in the makefile, and pcs28337@asciinet.or.jp
in the documentation; both of these bounce.

> > I am specifically interested in uudx, since I'm trying to find a
> > uudecode program which doesn't contain the 'advertising clause' (which
> > says that if a feature is advertised you have to include a credit in the
> > advertising), so I can cut the routine out and use it in another
> > program.  (As a programmer, I have little influence on how the marketing
> > division advertises anything.)
> Both BSD and GNU have that, and those are the predominant copyrights.
> It's only one line, and you can make it 6 point on the legalese page.  :)

And if the program is advertised on a video?  Or in a magazine?

(I should clarify that the program itself will not be distributed; it will only
be used, since it's run as CGI scripts over the web, so the GNU license is
actually better, as its restrictions only apply when you distribute.)
--
Ken Arromdee                    |They said it was *daft* to build a space
arromdee@inetnow.net            |station in a swamp, but I showed them!  It