Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:03:43 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pare Down Dependencies from Gnome

--=-HUrFny7w94oUfk4MMOGH

Paul Schmehl p=ED=B9e v ne 02. 04. 2006 v 15:54 -0600:
> --On April 2, 2006 2:28:57 PM -0700 "Jason C. Wells"=20
> <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
> >
> > This is a specific case of a more general problem.  Try to work out an
> > easy way to handle port dependencies when disparate versions,
> > configurations, and implementations of a particular library or protocol
> > exist and have many to many relationships to independent ports througho=
ut
> > the ports tree.  These relationships must maintain consistency
> > automagically without communication between various port maintainers an=
> > users.
> >
> I *do* think having ports require a specific version creates problems.  I=
t=20
> would be nice, for example, if a port could depend on mysql without forci=
ng=20
> a specific version install.  www/linuxpluginwrapper, for example, require=
s=20
> www/linux-flashplugin6, yet www/linux-flashplugin6 is broken and=20
> deprecated.  In some cases the problem could be solved by creating a=20
> symlink when the port is installed  (ln -s flashplugin7 to flashplugin, f=
or=20
> example)  Then the port could depend on flashplugin rather than=20
> flashplugin6, and the port install would work fine.

linuxpluginwrapper depends on flashplugin6 because it does not work with
any other flashplugin version.  Your solution would allow it to install,
but that's it.  It would not fly.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

Just because you're an angel doesn't mean you have to be a fool.

--=-HUrFny7w94oUfk4MMOGH
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-HUrFny7w94oUfk4MMOGH--