Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 02:25:29 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Petr Holub" <hopet@ics.muni.cz>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, rob@pythonemproject.com, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, jgowdy@home.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACPI

> > Backporting all of ACPI is likely to be difficult.  It has tendrils
> > into a lot of different parts of the system.  I'd love to see it back
> > ported as well, but I suspect that the time it will take to do it will
> > mean that it isn't MFC'd until after 5.0 is released.
>
> Well - what I was thinking about was to backport only some
> parts of it. I do understand that backporting all the features
> for all the drivers would mean tremendous effort. But backporting
> only the very basic features like battery reporting shouldn't
> be so difficult. And this is the most important feature I miss.

You are unfortunately sadly mistaken.

You can't just backport "some" of ACPI; it's like being "a little bit"
pregnant.

And frankly, battery state reporting is probably the least interesting
reason to get ACPI into a production release; what really counts (and
what is hurting us the most) is system resource management and device
configuration.