Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:07:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: glib20 2.26.1 / dbus dependency

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On 11/20/10 11:57 AM, Jakub Lach wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Why push dbus as required dependency?
>>
>> I manually deleted dbus dependency and added
>> --disable-dbus (just in case it's respected),
>> it compiled fine.
>>
>> Maybe WITHOUT_DBUS= knob could be added?
>
> DBus is now fundamentally required for many glib consumers in the GNOME
> space.  The DBus code is interwoven into libgio, so it can't easily be
> added as slave port "extra."  If you build glib without DBus you may
> surprised that some things just won't work.

Thanks for reply, as I'm far from GNOME user,
I hope it doesn't affect me much.

Currently I have installed:

$ pkg_info -R glib-2.26.1
Information for glib-2.26.1:

Required by:

desktop-file-utils-0.15_2
gamin-0.1.10_4
gstreamer-0.10.30
gstreamer-plugins-0.10.30,3
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.20,3
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.25,3
gstreamer-plugins-ogg-0.10.30,3
gstreamer-plugins-theora-0.10.30,3
gstreamer-plugins-vorbis-0.10.30,3
gstreamer-plugins-vp8-0.10.20,3
pl-openoffice.org-3.4.20101105
shared-mime-info-0.71_1
gio-fam-backend-2.26.1
cairo-1.10.0_2,1
gobject-introspection-0.9.12
atk-1.32.0
pango-1.28.3

However gstreamer is just for opera, and rest of
it is I believe just for OO.o (which is working fine
without gtk20 by the way), so I reckon I could be
safe.

I'm dreading update to GNOME 3 though..

best regards,
- Jakub Lach