Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:31:39 +0100
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:22:23 -0400 (EDT) "R. David Murray" <bitz@bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Matthew Whelan wrote:
> > I couldn't agree more. Testing discovers bugs at a faster rate than
> > debugging, at least until the test becomes 'too big'. As a result, it
> > actually *SAVES* developer time. If this weren't the case, noone would
> > do it outside of safety-critical systems. The clever bit is knowing when
> > to stop (ie. how big is too big). Starting should be a no-brainer.
>
> The solution to the too big problem is to make many smaller tests,
> and to have a test harness that allows you to run them selectively.

Not quite what I meant... there always comes a point when testing where
the rate at which you find bugs drops below the cost/benefit threshold
of removing them. It's no good delivering a bug-free product 3 years
after its usefulness has expired. It's also no good delivering that
piece of perfection for triple the price anyone's willing to pay.

> In XP, you write the tests *first*, and then write the code to make
> the tests pass.  This also saves developer time, in my experience (not
> that I always do it that way, mind <grin>).

This is a good way of disguising the fact that most people don't do
enough detailed design - you effectively encode the design in your test
suite instead.

--
Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>