Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:22:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   WRKDIRPREFIX and /usr/obj

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Hejsa

I see from the list archives that I'm not the only person to have
stumbled across the problems that occur when one sets the make.conf
WRKDIRPREFIX to /usr/obj and then tries to build ports.

Would it be a good idea to mention in the /etc/defaults/make.conf
in -stable, and perhaps in the man page as well, that /usr/obj is
not a good choice for this?

I see it's in neither the man page nor /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
in -current, while I'm pretty sure I had this problem plague me when
building ports in -current as well.

(Of course, I could try to understand why it bombs and see if a fix
can be thrown together, but it has been dysfunctional for a while and
/usr/obj is a rather tempting location to use for both system source
and ports, so this quick hack could save others a bit of hairpulling)

thanks
barry bouwsma