Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:37:32 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Volker Sturm <v.sturm@gmx.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: defaultroute?

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:26:18PM +0100, Volker Sturm wrote:
> I have put the DNS adresses from my isp in /etc/resolv.conf of the
> machine on the LAN by hand. If I set its defaultroute to the gateway
> machine, netscape will hang for about 3 or 4 mins. If I remove the
> defaultroute everything is fine again (well - I cant get on the internet
> then of course). Looks like netscape has a dns problem. Is there a way
> to configure the machine correctly? Did I forget anything?

Run tcpdump on the gateway machine on the internal link. Check if
you see any DNS requests coming by.

Run tcpdump on the gateway machine on the external link. Check if
you see any DNS requests coming by, with valid IP addresses. This
means: the ones from your IP internet-address, not from the IP
lan-domain. I think that you're not doing NAT on your box.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: