Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 11:41:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled

Hi,

I've got a new Tyan S2462 with dual AMD MP 1800+'s and a gig or two of
RAM, which is being used to provide shell services to some users who have
a variety of applications running.  It's virtually identical to another
that I got and love, which is being used for Usenet news stuff.

However, after the machine has been up for a while (variously from several
days to as long as a few hours), the load starts shooting up, it develops
some processes that show as "R" in ps, but are unkillable, and the
following pops up in messages.

Apr  7 00:47:53 server /kernel: kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled
Apr  7 00:48:24 server last message repeated 552 times
Apr  7 00:50:00 server last message repeated 1861 times
Apr  7 00:50:00 server /kernel: kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled
Apr  7 00:50:31 server last message repeated 537 times
[etc etc etc]

That appears to be

#define T_PROTFLT       9       /* protection fault */

I did some searching and it appears that this trap sometimes happens with
the Linux emulator, but that's not loaded.

Any suggestions as to how to go about debugging this?

From the source, I see two locations in machdep.c where it could also be
caused...