Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:29:58 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Mitch MRC <mitch_mrc@yahoo.com>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>,  Vladimir Botka <vbotka@gmail.com>,  Mitch MRC via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Server for web hosting and emails

Thanks again. Lots of things to think about.Best,Mircea
    On Sunday, November 12, 2017, 4:46:07 PM GMT+2, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:

 Mitch MRC via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Thank you for your replies.Is it possible to make it with dynamic IP from the ISP? Or i should ask for a fixed IP?
> Mircea

Just so you know about all your options.
Yes it is possible to use a dynamic ip address.
It's all a matter of risk.

In todays market of phone companies and cable TV providers acting as
ISP's the chance of then changing your assigned dynamic IP address is
very low. I have had the same dynamic IP address from my TV cable ISP
for 10+ years.

To reduce the risk to zero you can have your fqdn registered with one of
the many "dynamic DNS" service providers. You then run a daemon on your
host that watches your IP address and if it changes automatically sends
a update to your "dynamic DNS" service provider changing your fqdn to
point to the new IP address. Down time is less than 5 minutes.

But your missing the big picture problem.

Normally ISP's sell 2 account types, home users who get a single dynamic
IP address with some max bandwidth per month and the business account
who gets a group of static ip addresses and have bandwidth usage groups
that cost more per month as bandwidth usage increases as more hosting
customers are added.

As I read this thread I see you are thinking about running a home based
hosting service. A very small scale environment would work but if your
bandwidth exceeds the max for a home user account your ISP may stop
serving your account until the next month. Or even worse they may
determine that you are abusing your home account contract and terminate
your service all together. This will really put a negative turn on your
home hosting service and paying customers will leave you asap.

There are other considerations for a 24/7 service, like
UPS and or a gas powered electric generator
redundancy of computers and network controllers
solid state hard drives and the list goes on.

If your intention is something to play with at home so you can learn
about how things go together, then no problem. If this is a prelude to a
for profit hosting service then you better have very deep pockets
because this is going to cost a lot of up front money to do it right.

Maybe you should check into the affiliate program of many existing
hosting companies. For a price you get a branded hosting front end that
looks & feel like a real hosting service, but in reality your just
selling services for the downstream provider.

Good luck.