Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:14:20 +1100
From:      "Richard Grace" <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
To:        <y3k@gti.net>, <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: General Questions

>>> Mark <y3k@gti.net> 01/12/01 11:52am >>>

> Scott Pilz wrote:
>=20
> > Background:
> > We ran into another ISP (about the same size, just more funding) that
> > decided to merge in one way or another, they run SunOS 5.6 on three =
four
> > different boxes (with Sun hardware).

SunOS 5.6 is quite old, but there is still fairly good software support =
for it.
Depending on the machine, it may be quite slow.  I'd not bother unless
you have sun4m hardware.

> > For ISP ussage, what is recommended, SunOS or FreeBSD?
> >
> > Can FreeBSD run on Sun hardware that is apx. 2 years old? Does it run
> > well? What about Sun hardware that is running more than one proccessor?=

FreeBSD will not run on the Sparc platform.

> > Are FreeBSD and Sun very different from one another? (I realize unix =
is
> > unix, as windows is windows, and dos is dos, however the command
> > structures I'm slightly confused about)

SunOS 4.x and below is very different from SunOS 5.x and above.

SunOS 4.x and FreeBSD are 'BSD' Unixes, while Solaris (SunOS 5.x and
above) is a 'SysV' Unix.  They are quite different in design as well as
administration, but nearly all software will run equally well on either =
OS.

> > I spent an hour yesterday trying to find a SunOS command just to read =
the
> > CPU ussage (such as TOP does in BSD) and failed :-(.. Anyone know any
> > commands like this?

Download and install top from http://www.sunfreeware.com=20

Or, use:
  mpstat	show cpu statistics for each cpu
  iostat	show system IO statistics
...and there are a few others.  Search http://docs.sun.com for more info

> > In the long run, I hope to switch these Sun boxes to BSD, I'm *sold* =
on
> > BSD, atleast for ISP aspects, is this a good idea to switch, or is it
> > worth while learning another OS because Sun offers more than BSD?

That's really up to you to decide from a software point of view.  Though
as far as the hardware goes, there is no longer any support for sun4c
hardware.

> I dont know about netBSD, but OpenBSD has binary emulation for most
> SunOS programs.
> I'm running it on a Sparc IPX and it seems to work pretty well.
>=20
> -mark

NetBSD has emulation for SunOS 4.x and SunOS 5.x but you need to get
the libraries from a SunOS host first, and you should also have licences.
There is more info in the pkg/port doco for emul_sunos.

As for multiple CPU's, you will get better balancing of load with Solaris,
though you will still have CPU load issues with single-threaded application=
s.

Hope this give some insight.

Richard Grace
Unix Systems Adminstrator