Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:47:17 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thread related papers, et al.

	The BSD/OS lockmanager code is on builder. The
changes are straight forward. A few minutes staring at it should
make it all clear.

	I do agree this needs to be done right away. Until
it is done biodone must be called holding the Giant lock, and
therefore device drivers can't really be made mp safe.

Chuck

}
}One priority Darren has expressed is getting the lock manager working
}properly with SMPng, as mutexes don't provide the semantics he needs in
}terms of read vs. write locks; this seems like a reasonable viewpoint, and
}possibly it's just a question of cleaning up the lock manager a little,
}and wrapping locks in mutexes (to a first approximation).  That said, the
}Solaris lock calls seem a lot cleaner, so maybe we should adopt something
}like their APIs and semantics, which would also give Solaris kernel module
}programmers a starting point if they want to port third party modules to
}FreeBSD :-).
}
}  Robert N M Watson