Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:23:48 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinion requested: contents of "instant workstation" port

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 04:03:34PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Some months ago I added an "instant workstation" metaport, intended to
> be installed by people who had bought my book.  After the Wind River
> fracas, I am finally getting back to finishing the fourth edition
> of the book, and I'm reconsidering the content of the port.  I'd be
> grateful for any suggestions.  I'm attaching the current text of the
> chapter describing it.  I'd like some opinions on things to remove or
> add to the list.
>
> Greg
>
> Instant workstation
>
> The ``instant workstation'' port installs a number of the more popular
> packages, and allows you to be productive right away.  At a later
> point you may find that you prefer other software, in which case you
> can install it.
>
> The instant workstation includes the following packages:

...snip...

> o cdrecord is a utility to burn CD-Rs.

This needs a SCSI CD-R/RW so may not be usable by many.

...snip...

> o emacs21 is the GNU Emacs editor recommended in this book.

I personally like vim and think perhaps both should be included.  I
guess you have already weighed the pros and cons of emacs vs. xemacs.

> o ghostscript is a PostScript interpreter.  It can be used to display
>   PostScript on an X display, or to print it out on a non-PostScript
>   printer.

I wonder if apsfilter would be appropriate here as well.

...snip...

> o kde is the desktop environment recommended in this book.

Would it be possible to give people a choice between KDE and GNOME; or
both?  I personally prefer XFCE but I am probably in the minority.

...snip...

> o postfix is the mail transfer agent (MTA) recommended in this book.

This would seem more appropriate for a server.  Also, the user would then
have to fiddle with getting sendmail disabled unless that is handled in
the port.

> o smbfs it is a complete kernel side implementation of SMB requester
>   and filesystem, used for accessing Microsoft's SMB file system.

This is part of the base system.

I think urlview would also be a good one to add as it integrates
well with mutt.  Along the same lines I think adding lynx or w3m for
converting HTML mail inside of mutt would be good.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net