Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:29:00 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I'm a little confused by all this. Wasn't someone working on a complete
> > rewrite of the msdosfs? One that would be safe to use without making
>
> Robert Nordier.  He was called away. :-)

Actually, I'm back. :-)

(Having just come off two projects that together have taken most
of the days/nights for the last eighteen months.)

Adding Windows support to the existing msdosfs is a reasonable move
that I've always been in favor of someone doing.  And if/when I
get my own code finished, there's probably no reason why there
shouldn't be more than one dosfs available (as with pppd and iijppp).

My own immediate plans, though, in the next couple of weeks, are
to release a dosfs-checking tool `ckfatfs', which will probably be
useful, given the work on msdosfs.

The checking by ckfatfs is comprehensive and extremely rigorous.
Conceptually, it's more like an FS lint, and less like the fsck-style
"fixing" programs (which actually do fairly limited overall checking).

This should probably serve as a useful confidence/diagnostic tool
in conjunction with revisions to the msdosfs.

--
Robert Nordier