Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:47:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Anthony E." <apwebdesign@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error when "make" for apache 1.3.14...

I actually did that too....installing from source.
I installed JDK, JSDK, Cocoon, Apache, and Jserv from
the downloaded source.

The cocoon test worked, but my app didn't work
properly.

Everyone says that it's best to install from
ports...I'm wondering if that's just because it's
convenient and a nifty FreeBSD thing...or are the
actual sources in the ports "ported" specifically for
freebsd?
It seems to me, after looking at the makefile for
apache, that it just pulls the source from
www.apache.org/dist