Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:38:05 -0400
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        tom <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP, cu and US Robotics 14,400 Sporster FAX Modem

> Sorry if I entered this in the middle.
Thats OK join the forum

> Looks like your modem and /dev/cuaa0 are working at different speeds.
How do I check this ??

> Do you have the modem manual?  The switch settings determine the initial
> serial port speed on the modem.
Yes. There isn't anything wrong with the modem if there was then
I wouldn't be able to log onto my ISP from MS$ Windows and
I wouldn't be able to mail you..

> If you do not have the manual, what are your switch settings?

> Try connecting to the modem and entering just 'AT'.  The modem should
> return 'OK', if the speeds are the same and the modem serial interface
> is functioning.  tip may be better than cu for hardware testing.
Firstly the AT command is OK. Secondly the commands 'tip'
and 'cu' are in essence both built on the basis of 'cu'
except that 'tip' has a bit more involved in setup terms.
To test a problem of this nature I think that one needs
the SIMPLEST RS232 interface possible which is the reason
for using 'cu'.

tomdean