Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:37:24 -0400
From:      Stephen Milley <smilley@waterw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Snapshot version

I downloaded the FreeBSD SnapShot version, and installed it in my system. I
later found out it's better for me to go with FreeBSD-Current :)
But, I was curious as to why(and people are asking on IRC, too) they took
out /stand/sysconfig in Snap shot version 3. There also some other things
about it that I find challenging, but unusual! One of them was the fact that
you had only 4 ttys when you first installed, and had to make 8 from doing a
"/dev/MAKEDEV vty4", all the way up to vty7 and add them to /etc/ttys. I
also don't know how to get rid of the devices that show up in startup that
say they aren't assigned to any port address(they give the specific
addresses, which I like about FreeBSD). I think FreeBSD, however is the best OS
that came out of them all. If you don't understand error messages then don't
use Unix! :) Even though I am going to install the current version, I am
curious as to what changed! Thanks and please reply to as much as these
questions, as I also see these issues related on IRC(mostly concerning the
FreeBSD2.2 and up). :)
P.S. Btw, is FreeBSD Posix compliant?