Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:10:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Examining FBSD set[ug]ids and their use

--- Big Brother told Crist J. Clark to write, at 23:49 of November 1:
> Spidey wrote,
> > > Needed to allow ordinary mortals to sent raw IP (ICMP) packets.
> >
> > I don't think this should be enable by default... on a shell box, this
> > could cause some pretty dense headaches...
>
> You don't think mortal users should be able to ping? IMHO, ping is a
> _very_ basic utility that generally should be turned on. I don't want
> to have to 'su' to root everytime I want to ping a host to see if it
> is awake. Same goes for traceroute(8).
>
> If you want to turn off the setuid (in which case you might as well
> chmod to 700 as well), you can, but I really don't see it as the
> default setup.

I was more thinking of something like 4750 with a 'network' gid so
that only a still restricted group would be able to use ping.

I don't know, in fact.. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.... :)

AnarCat

--
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,

Lofofora