Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dropped of the lists, *AGAIN*

Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> >	in you case the MX servers, kithrup.com and data.pa.vix.com,
> >	are diversely connected.  Unfortunately, your NS servers
> >	are not.  you have only two NS records, both at scruz.net.
> >
> >	scruz.net is served, according to my current version of
> >	the BGP-4 table, by uu.net.   uu.net does suffer outages,
> >	just like the rest of us.  this is why my employer has two
> >	isp's which are diversely connected: uu.net and crl.com.
> >
> >	the implication is that in the past you may have suffered
> >	lose of NS service....and immediate mail bounce.  that will
> >	get you unsubscribed pretty quickly if you are on a high
> >	volume list or it happens during a high volume spurt on a
> >	normally quiet list.
>
> I would strongly suggest you have evidence of that.  I actively watch my net
> connectivty, basicly continuously as I can (while I am awake and near a
> computer).
>
> Guess what:  i know excatly when my NS information was out.  I also know how
> long it is cached, when it is valid, and when it was lost.
>
> My NS information has not been lost to the point of having "kithrup.com" being
> invalid, since early 1996, when I moved and switched ISP's.  You do understand
> that it's cached, don't you?  It takes seven days for the information to
> expire.
>
> Now, make up your mind:  was I removed because mail bounced?  You said no,
> earlier.  You claimed it was because a fibre cut resulted in corrupted files.

	you count 4 times.   i claim two reasons.

> Which is it?  Note that I informed you, via a note to postmaster@freebsd.org,
> on the weekend of June 27/28, that my connectivity was down, and there might
> be some mail bounces, but it would be fixed by Monday, June 29th, morning.

	and you were not removed from the lists.

> And, gosh, it *WAS*.  But, amazingly enough, mail was continusouly delivered
> to my MX host throughout the weekend.  (There were some bounces Monday
> morning, when I had several thousand mail messages come through
> simultaneously, and used up my open file space.  Fixed a bit later.  But that
> is not three days worth of bounces.)

	20 is my cut off....more that than in a 24 hour period
	qualifies an address for removal.

> If you remove at first bounce, you're doing the wrong thing.  If you do not
> keep track of which ones were removed due to bouncing, so they can be added
> when a transient problem is corrected, you are doing the wrong thing.
>
> If you are not sure why addresses were removed en masse, you are doing the
> wrong thing.
>
> And, even more interesting, I WAS STILL ON THE LISTS AS OF JULY 7th.
>
> That's last week.  Two and a half weeks after my ISP went out.
>
> So why am I not on all the lists I am supposed to be?

	please re-read my earlier email.

	its time for me to take the kids to swim practice, so
	i'll be off the net for a while.  i got go swim my laps
	as well ;)

jmb