Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:41:40 -0500
From:      "Richard J. Finn" <rfinn@hiwd.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   funky problem

CPU:	200 Mghz Pentium II (Compaq Proliant 2500)
	RAM:	98 MB
	HDD:	4.2 GB SCSI-2
	OS:	FreeBSD 2.2.2 (2.2.5 binary compat.)
	Func.:	Web (Apache/NeoWebScript 2.3), database (PostgreSQL 6.0) server
and
		a small amount of DNS serving (BIND 8.1.1)
	NIC:	PCI 10/100 BaseT SMC EtherPower (Tulip - de0)

	This is kind of long, I explain what my problems are and what I did to
try and fix them...

	Problem:
	One of my guys reported a problem pulling up some web pages on the
server around midnight on Wednesday night (Thurs mourning).  I went to
check it out.  While I was looking around I started getting errors
telling me it couldn't find such files as libncurses.so.3.0,
libc.so.3.0, and libtelnet.so.2.0.  Then, I started getting an error
telling me that there were too many open files.  The machine had been up
for close to 200 hundred days (gotta love that FreeBSD) straight, so I
figured it was just due for a reboot.
	After the reboot everything seemed to be fine, except for Postgres.  I
started to Postgres and went to a web page that accesses a Postgres
database.  It gave me an error that it couldn't find the server.  I
checked, an sure enough it wasn't running.  I started in again and did a
"top -U postgres" to watch the process.  Whenever I tried to use
Postgres in any way, even with the psql that comes with... it died.  I
tried recompiling Postgres... no dice.  I tried compiling a new instance
of Postges somewhere else on the machine... still died.  About this time
we notice that many programs that dynamicly link in libs aren't working
just right.
	After talking with some of my friends over at NeoSoft I try to cvsup
with the following configuration:
> # Defaults that apply to all the collections
> *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr/
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
>
> src-all
> src-eBones
> src-secure
Then, I do a "make world" in /usr/src.  It eventually fails trying to
install somethign called "trquery".  It looked like most of the build
worked, so I tried to reboot and play with Postgres.  Still broke.
	Then, I tried to upgrade to 2.2.5.  I get all the way to the network
configuration (I'm trying to install from ftp2.freebsd.org) and enter in
my info.  It tries to add the default route to NeoSoft's colo router
(the machine is one their colo network) and hangs.  I let it sit there
for as much as 45 minutes and it didn't budge.  I checked my
configuration... it was right.  I changed it around... still froze.  I
tried the upgrade to 2.2.6... same problem.
	I was able to still boot the machine from the hard drive, so I did.  I
tried to recompile the kernel and I get an error that there are
unreferenced segments in isa.o or something.

	I'm at a loss for what to try.  Any ideas?

--
Richard J. Finn
CTO/CIO			Houston InterWeb Design, Inc.