Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 18:47:01 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why news expiration is sooo slowww with 2.2.x.

> I should have mentioned, this is a 386-33 (with an Intel 387) and
>only 8megs of RAM.  Prior to 2.2.1, it took only a few hours to expire;
>now it takes many days....   Examining swapinfo during this process
>indicates swap is mostly free, so I don't believe my constrained memory
>is the problem (I'm not even swapping...)   Certainly my CPU is
>slow, but it wasn't any faster prior to version 2.2.1.. :-)

   You might be hitting a knee on available buffers vs. directory size.
Usenet has been a cesspool of cancel messages recently and I was seeing
the control.cancel newsgroup > 10MB in size (per day!) recently. I had to
set up a special cronjob just to delete all the crap every hour. Anyway, a
directory that large (and any others) will interact very poorly when
the buffer pool is real small - such as the case on a machine with only
8MB of main memory. You might try tinkering with the calculation of "nbuf"
in /sys/i386/i386/machdep.c.

-DG

David Greenman