Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:56:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Dan S." <techieguy7@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum and /usr

On Wednesday,  7 March 2001 at 10:17:19 -0800, Dan S. wrote:
> Ok I have two HDs each about 1.5GB they are ad4 and
> ad7 currently /usr is on ad47s1e. How can I use vinum
> to combine /usr with my second HD(ad7). Can this be
> done and how should I go about doing this?

Basically it's not supported, but there are some tricks which might
work.  You can shrink it by 265 sectors (you'll have to be in single
user mode with swap unmounted to do this) and create a Vinum drive
(partition) which starts at the new end of swap and goes on to the end
of the slice.  Then define concatenated plexes to correspond with the
true location of the partition.

> I have an understanding of how vinum works and I also know that if I
> do vinum -concat /dev/ad4s1e /dev/ad7s1e that it will kill all data
> on those partitions.

No, it doesn't touch anything outside the first 265 sectors.  But the
concat command is too much of a toy for this application.  Use the
real config file commands with explicit size and offset information.

> How would I go about doing this if I am going to have to destroy
> /usr?

Well, you can always back up and restore.  The backup is a good idea
anyway.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.