Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:23:49 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Mark Alli <mark@bodkin.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Mark Alli wrote:

> I have a network running FreeBSD,Linux and Windows. My problem is I have a
> shared printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 machine and I want to print to
> it from FreeBSD and Linux machines. I have already set up the printcap file
> and created a directory for the new printer ie P4, and restarted lpd, the
> "lock" and "status" files were created, and when I do a teslprn everything
> is fine. My problem is, when I try to print I get the error "job could not
> be printed". What am I doing wrong.

It is hard to tell without more detailed info. Is the NT printer shared?
where are you using samba to access the shared printer? Are the username/
password correct? Is samba properly configured?

I am using a modified version of smbprint (look at
/usr/local/share/examples/samba/printing/) which uses magicfilter and then
feeds the output of the filter to smbclient.

What you need to do if adapt smbprint to your needs and then configure
it as the input filter of your printer (if= field in the printcap).

Hope this helps

				Fer