Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 18:15:50 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Holger Baust <hbaust@impuls-kr.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 PPP with Linux 2.x

HI !

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Holger Baust wrote:
>
> > I Have Problems Using UserMode PPP on FreeBSD 2.1.5 .
> > Everytime I connect to a Linux-Box using Linux Kernel 2.0.33 and pppd
> > 2.2.0f. After a successful connect max 15 Packets are Transmit, then the
> > FreeBSD Box says in its ppp.log : Unknown Protocol 0x802b .
>
> This is not a fatal error.  This protocol number is used by Microsoft for
> transmitting auxiliary network information, like DNS.  It's an extension
> and not all clients recognize it.  But your network connection should work
> anyway.

No.. It's the IPXCP - Protocol, and the UserMode PPP Client does not
understand this. I fetched this information out of the Linux pppd -
sourcecode. I hope that disabling ipx will stop this and that the old
usermode PPP Client does not get confused about DNS informations.
I need them for Windoze dialins...
But thanks a lot for your help...

	Regards,
		Holger Baust

--

Holger Baust, Technik und Internet Services
impuls GmbH                                  TeleFon: +49-2151-8533