Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:46:49 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable inet6?

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:29:00PM -0500, alex wrote:
> I have freebsd 4.7 installed... and it was working just great... till it
> decided it (or me) decided to start inet6...
>
> here's my theory...
>
> got a bunch of daemons that hang on boot... and sometimes on use..
> including sendmail and my ftp server... when i send a message in pine.. it
> takes about a minute to actually send... and this started happening when i
> saw that inet6 showed up on the ifconfig...

That sounds like DNS breakage to me.  It's certainly the case that the
sendmail MSP spends a lot of effort looking up the loopback address,
which is ::1 for IPv6.  (That is probably what's causing the delays in
pine, too).  There are other places where IPv6 stuff can cause the
system to wait for a DNS query to time out, several of which are down
to other people not running properly standards compliant software out
there on the 'net.

You can test how well your system can look up IPv6 addresses by:

    dig -x ::1 IN PTR

Ideally this will return 'localhost' within a few milliseconds.
Second best is a negative response (ie. no answer to be found) which
will probably take a second or so to resolve.  The worst case is that
you get no answer at all until the resolver gives up and times out.

Other than switching IPv6 off entirely, as has been suggested, you
could try a few other measures to fix up various problematic areas:

   * Make sure that:

      ::1  localhost localhost.your.domain.com

     appears in /etc/hosts

   * Alternatively run named(8) locally as a caching name server ---
     that's essentially what the default configuration in
     /etc/namedb/named.conf gets you.  Be sure to get the latest
     version of that file (1.6.2.6 in the RELENG_4 branch) with the
     RFC 3152 stuff in it.  Remember to alter /etc/resolv.conf so that
     your new nameservice cache becomes your first choice server.

   * Modify the configuration in your sendmail configuration (both MSP
     and MTA flavours) to tell it only to bind to IPv4 addresses. eg:

        FEATURE(no_default_msa)dnl ## overridden with DAEMON_OPTIONS below
        DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=587,Name=MSA,M=E')dnl
        DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4,Family=inet')dnl

     in /etc/mail/`hostname`.mc, and

        FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

     in /etc/mail/freebsd.submit.mc

   * Make your ftp server bind to just the IPv4 address by commenting
     out the:

        ftp    stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l

     line in /etc/inetd.conf --- send inetd a HUP signal to reload
     it's configuration:

        killall -HUP inetd

You won't need *all* of these measures --- choose whatever is most
suitable...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way