Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 19:25:01 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdchat@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAMED again: Add LIVE Girls to your website!

> > > I very, very rarely get spammed by email.  Do you post to the usenet;
> > I've never posted to usenet in my life, and I'm getting these spams too.
> Do you use IRC? Also, since you are subscribed to these lists, some

well...

that irc thing has been proved to be somewhat urban legend... at least on
my case.

i regulary idle on efnet from _two_ different accounts, all the time, "never"
off. to the other one, it being *.fi account, i never get spammed (so far),
to my other irccing account, it being *.net, i get spammed _very_ rarely,
mostly probably coz of the usenet posting i do from that same account.

but into which account do i get most spams? it's the account my web browsers
announces as my _official_ account, that being another account in the same
machine (this one), from which i post to usenet and irc.

i dont know if that is related or not. but clearly idling on irc or
posting to usenet doesnt cause much spamming. i could study that by adding
yet another "pseudo" account for the web browser.

i might get about 1 spam per day to the other account, and about 10! to the
other. none to these accounts i've created for freebsd lists (decluding the
few cases when list has been spammed, no separate spams detected)

i could imagine the channel into which one idles and the usenet group to
which one posts are somewhat relevant, the usenet group less coz of the
dejanews.

though #unix should be enough obvious/public irc channel to idle into that
one would drag at least some spam coz of it. apparently that's not the case.

and while i'm posting, is there obvious IP blocks i could drop from which
the spams are originated? (havent gotten time to study my huge logs yet)

mickey