Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:26:58 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Joe Loughry" <loughry@qwest.net>, <henryammons@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intermittant freezing problems

Without trying to start another religious war ..... I've had the odd lockup
issue here
& in every case an AMD K6 or Duron CPU was involved. Swapping the K6
for an Intel has always solved the problem for me ... the Durons have been
put out
to pasture (actually given to some brat to play moronic games) This may or
not be
totally conclusive, but its always worked so thats all thats been needed. If
at some
stage I strike a run of bad Intels (hasn't happened yet) I'll undoubtedly
change my attitude,
however I can't recall even one crook Intel (or even a Cyrix / IDT for that
matter) .

It seems that AMD followers are inclined to be a faithful breed so I expect
several
to start jumping up & down claiming they only have bad experiences with
Intel ....
looking around at the machines with expensive names thereon & presently
marketed
in OZ, it doesn't appear that AMD is highly regarded there. I don't mean the
boy-wonder special Packard Bell disasters .... none of the top end server
hardware
I've seen from from HP / IBM / Compaq had the option of AMD (or anything
except
 Intel for that matter).

To be fair to AMD, if I was putting together a WinME box for playing
mindless games
I'd probably use an Athlon or whatever .... the things are well priced and
apparently work
properly with games.