Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:25:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Access Apache Manual Files (THANK GOD)

Hi Brian,
Thank God someone (you) have finally answered Mr. Geoffrey for his
very simple question, that kept popping up day after day for the past
week or so.

I wonder if one should ask the same question to the same people over
and over again, in ALL the possible ways.

Apparently the cause was that he was asking for something that simply
DID NOT EXIST in life.

Man, you'll find over 90 % of people who installed Apache and have a
working Web Site, did manage even without reading a single document.

But to Mr. Geoffrey, the case is different, the problem is that if the
time wasted to repeatedly ask the question was devoted to try setting
up the THING he would have discovered that it is not that dangerous to
his health or difficult at AALLLLLL.

But as psychiatrists like to say, there are some ANAL personalities,
(THIS IS A SCIENTIFIC TERM, SO DO NOT TAKE IT OTHERWISE), these are
people who are always asking themselves while typing on the keyboard,
"ARE MY FINGER TIPS CLEAN ???) ;-/

Sorry if I came hard on you Geoffrey, but please try this 'VERY RISKY
;-)' procedure of setting up Apache before reading the docs at the
mentioned URL, and if you fail, so ALL of you , FLAEM ME !!

Greeting everybody.

---Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM> wrote:

> On 3 January, 1998, at 08:39 (-0500)
> Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, it's in the path.
> > Actually I think the problem may be that the Apache manual files
just
> > aren't there. In /usr/apache/man I get the listing
> >
> > cat1                  cat9                    man4
> > cat2                  catl                    man5
> > cat3                  catn                    man6
> > cat4                  de_DE.ISO_8859-1        man7
> > cat5                  ja_JP.EUC               man8
> > cat6                  man1                    man9
> > cat7                  man2                    manl
> > cat8                  man3                    mann
> >
> > This is the same listing I get in /usr/local/man but when I do
> >    #ls -Rl /usr/apache/man >list
> > and look at list in vi I discover that there are no files in the
> > /usr/apache/man tree, only a bunch of empty directories and
> > subdirectories. I looked in the apache build directories for the
help
> > files but I couldn't find anything. Do you know where I can get
them and
> > where to copy them to? Is it possible that they where accidentally
left
> > out of the apache-current port?
>
> To my knowledge, there *are* no man pages for Apache, and never have
been;
> all the docs are HTML.  I have the full source distribution for Apache
> 1.3b2 (only one beta release behind the current one of 1.3b3).
There's not
> a single man page in the distribution.
>
> Furthermore, the prebuilt Apache FreeBSD packages don't install any
docs
> (HTML or otherwise)--at least, not the ones on my 2.2.5-RELEASE
CD-ROM.
> Likewise, the package list (PLIST) files for the ports on that
CD-ROM don't
> list any docs, and the Makefile doesn't install them.
>
> I recommend that you extract one of the ports (say, `apache-current'
or
> `apache'), then `cd' to directory `work/apache*/htdocs/manual'.  In
that
> directory, you'll find the complete HTML documentation for
> Apache--essentially the same docs that you find on the Apache home
page,
> `http://www.apache.org'.
> -----
> Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
> Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and
original
> in your work.
>         -- Gustave Flaubert

==