Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:26:25 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        acidrop50@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing packages [was Re: help]

> Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 09:11:15 +1000
> From: Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
> Subject: Re: help
>
> Have you downloaded the 8mb port.tar.gz ?
> If you have to extract the port
> TYpe in the following:-
> (as root)
> gunzip port.tar.gz
> tar xvf port.tar -C /usr/
> cd /usr/ports/www/someport/
> make install
> (it does everything for your automatically)

That's the instructions for installing ports, not
packages.  It probably doesn't matter, because the
end result almost identical.  The difference (for
the benefit of the newcomers) is that a port is
(usually) download as source, configured to match
your system, and then compiled and installed
automatically.  A package is a pre-compiled binary
that is downloaded and installed.  Most ports can
also be installed as packages, so which you use is
usually a matter of personal preference.  A package
will be faster to install on a slow machine because
it is already built, a port can be customized (perhaps
automatically) for your particular system.

To install a package via FTP you have two choices.  The
easiest for beginners is:
1) log in as root
2) execute the command: /stand/sysinstall
3) select post-install configuration
4) select packages and follow the directions.

The possibly faster method is to find the FTP address of
the package you want by looking at www.freebsd.org/ports.
If the port description includes a link to a package at
the bottom, then the command

pkg_add <ftp address>

will do the trick.  E.g. to install the acroread package,
type

pkg_add
ftp://www.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/acroread-4.05.tgz

(all on one line, of course).

NOTE: you should be able to do this even more easily with

pkg_add -r acroread4

and it should find the FTP URL automagically, but the name
mapping seems to be a little broken, and it doesn't always work.

After all that, though, I'm going to point out that installing
the port (instead of the package) seems to be what most people
do, and that's what the original instructions were for.  It's
easy, convenient, and on most systems, reasonably fast.

Once you've installed your ports directory once (i.e. downloaded
and unpacked port.tar.gz), adding a port is as simple as
going to the directory for the port you want.  You don't have
to download the port file every time.  E.g.

cd /usr/ports/print/acroread4
make install

is all I would normally do.  You will want to learn how to
use cvsup to update your ports tree, though.  This and much
more is in the Handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

-- Bob Johnson