Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:35:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Subject:   Re: Does your Alpha run a SMPng kernel?

On 10-Nov-00 Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>

>> Matthew Jacob writes:
>>  >
>>  > 'ata' timeouts occur with abandon during probing PC164 or on XP1000.
>>
>> Does the ata device ever recover?  Neither if_fxp or if_dc ever
>> recover.  After the first timeout, they're gone for good.
>
> Sometimes, but often not because the ata driver can't attach, e.g.:
>
> ata0-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata0-master: identify failed

That is either a bogus interrupt coming in or no interrupt coming in.  Sticking
a printf in the ata interrupt handler to confirm would be useful.  It might be
that we get the first interrupt ok and don't properly re-enable the source
afterwards.  Is there a chance we aren't sending an EOI to the PIC?