Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 07:19:56 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        arg@arg1.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gordon)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

As Andrew Gordon wrote:

> > 6)	Telnet to your JetDirect, and turn off banner pages.  That's
> > 	how i always did it.
>
> Well, I have now tried the three printers that I can access remotely,
> and none of them support this (they support the telnet prompt for
> configuration, but banners are not one of the available options; I tried
> typing the suggested "banner:0" in case it was an undocumented feature,
> but that gave me an error).

Upgrade the JetDirect's firmware then.  Alas, this requires a Windows
machine.  (HP provides the `JetAdmin' software for Solaris and HP-UX,
too, but not for any other Unix.  Firmware upgrading is impossible
without this crap, and last time i've tried it under Solaris, the
program behaved like a typical Windows program: ``Firmware download
failed'' was the only thing i could get out of this.)

>   In both that case and the
> HP, it responds correctly to the banner controls in the lpr protocol.

HP was never very good in understanding the lpd protocol.  This is no
big surprise, since the lpd protocol was only `documented' in the BSD
source code.  They've botched a number of things where they've
transferred responsibility to the client where it's actually in the
server.  They can't print multiple copies of one file for a similar
reason (lpr -#<num> option).  Until very recently, they couldn't even
print multiple jobs in a single TCP connection -- but this only became
apparent once you've turned off banners, since they otherwise closed
the TCP link after each (sub)job. ;-)  If you upgrade your firmware,
you've got this bug fixed as well...

--
cheers, J"org