Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:19:36 -0500
From:      Brad Zimmerman <bzimmer@megavision.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=EAr=EAciya_Kurdistan=EE?= <sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx>
Subject:   Re: problems getting SMP kernel to run on IBM intellistation

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 10:40 PM, S=EAr=EAciya Kurdistan=EE wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Now, on that front, I did take both processors out, re-seated them -
>> same problem. I went down to one processor and put the "blank" back
>> into the 2nd processor slot. The box ran fine. I pulled that =
processor
>> out and put the 2nd one into the slot 0. The box ran fine. Both
>> processors seem to work _individually_ but not with SMP.
>
>   What specificaly are the lines you enabled for SMP in the kernel?
>
>   I believe that with 4.7+ there are only two lines needed:
>
>   options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor=20
> Kernel
>   options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
>
>   You may want to have the following in there too:
>
>   options         SYSVSHM         # include support for shared memory
>   options         SHMSEG=3D9        # max shared memory segments per=20=

> process
>   options         SYSVSEM         # include support for semaphores
>   options         SYSVMSG         # include support for message queues
>
>   Try that and let us know what happens.

Okay, I just got a chance to try it, and the system got a little=20
further. I already had the following enabled:

options	SMP
options	APIC_IO

options	SYSVSHM
options	SYSVSEM
options	SYSVMSG

I added the following:

options	SHMSEG=3D9

I took out the following:

options	HTT

Configured, compiled, installed, rebooted. This time, the system booted=20=

all of the way up. I got the message telling me my second processor was=20=

enabled and then got a login prompt. Definitely better. I logged in and=20=

ran top just to see what was happening. It appeared that processes were=20=

being assigned to both processors to run and everything went great...=20
for about 20 seconds and then the machine froze again. Rebooted and got=20=

the same result. I'm now back on my GENERIC kernel and I'm good again -=20=

but with only one processor working.

I appreciate the ideas, and they definitely seemed to help, but I've=20
still got something not quite right. I'm open to try other ideas or=20
post any information that might be useful.

Thanks!