Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:54:05 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with server, stops responding to incoming traffic.

Mike Grommet wrote:

> /var/log/messages
>
> messages:Jun 11 02:02:43 ns /kernel: pid 757 (inetd), uid 0: exited on
> signal 11
>
> at approximately the same time every night, but happens at other times too.
>
> I can ping the machine, telnet into port 25 and apache still respoinds.  I'm
> pretty sure this is related to our router difficulties but I'm not sure how,
> or what to change.

Hi,

Signal 11's are notoriously caused by bad memory... If 'inetd' dies - you
won't be able to telnet / pop3 to the box, as inetd is the program that is
usually responsible for starting things like 'telnetd' etc. (inetd sits
around waiting for connects to these services, and spawns them accordingly).

I'd doubt it was a router problem causing this... Try reseating the RAM, or
different RAM if you have any spare...

Regards,

Karl