Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:28:12 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardware diagnostics?

I have a machine built from parts (to avoid the microsoft tax)
running 4.1 with a 4-STABLE kernel (built on another FreeBSD 4-Stable
machine).  It is hanging at random places.  I suspect hardware for
the following reason:  If I boot the system and try to compile a
kernel, it will hang (no response to ping, no response on console)
during the make depend.  Unfortunately, it does not hang in the
same place each time, which is why I suspect hardware.

How does one go about testing hardware short of buying a second
collection of parts and changing them one at a time?

Kenneth