Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:35:18 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Dave Raven <dave@raven.za.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2.1 SMP problems

Hi!

>     Installed 5.2.1 on a high load server - albeit not recommended - and
> it was working perfectly with SMP support. It picked up 4 cpu's and
> appeared to be using them all. (The box is a dual 2.4gig Xeon machine).
> Anyway, the box was as I said under quite a bit of load, and would die
> about once a day - just reboot. I looked into it a bit and found
> whenever I put more load on (e.g. a make install in ports) it would
> panic - vm_load_page or something like that - sorry about being so
> vague. Anyway I took out SMP support, and now it boots with 2 cpu's -
> one normal Xeon + HT for the second (no idea how to disable that - but I
> don't need to)... its been running perfect for 4 days now and I put it
> under SERIOUS load.. has anyone else had SMP problems on 5.2.1?

I put 5.2.1-RELEASE on an IBM Netfinity 5000 (dual Pentium III) and I
had problems, although different from yours. This system has some
warning LEDs on the motherboard which light up when something is wrong.
Quite often, when booting, the NMI and PCI1 LEDs would light up, the
message "NMI ISA 34, EISA ff" appears among the boot messages and
system reboots shortly after that. PCI1 LED indicates a problem with
the first PCI bus, which is where I have IBM ServeRAID controller.

Interesting thing is that sometimes this problem during booting does
not happen and once the system boots successfully there are never any
problems.

When I removed the second CPU, the problem disappeared. I am not quite
convinced yet that the problem is completely gone (haven't rebooted too
many times) but it certainly has been greatly reduced.

Downgrading the firmware of ServeRAID controller from 6.10 to 5.10 (as
recommended by another poster on this list) may also have contributed
to resolving the problem. But the first thing I did was removing the
2nd CPU and I successfully booted several times between that and
downgrading the ServeRAID firmware. I *seem* to remember one NMI-boot
after removing the second CPU, but I'm not quite sure my memory isn't
failing me - it has been quite a rough ride with this NF5000 during the
past few days. Anyway, *before* removing the second CPU, the boot
failure rate was >50%, so I'm sure removing the second CPU did help,
even if downgrading the ServeRAID firmware may have helped further.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Feeling compressed ARJ you?