Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:40:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        sigsegv@mail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: termcap vs terminfo

In the last episode (Jun 05), sigsegv@mail.ru said:
> I've noticed that the base system does not have terminfo, but instead
> comes with termcap. Apparently BSD always had termcap and System V
> had terminfo. I don't want to start a religious war as to which one
> is better, but only want to ask if anyone has experienced problems
> when porting ncurses applications from BSD to System V and vice
> versa, and what could be done to minimise such problems.

FreeBSD's libcurses is ncurses, and it also uses the same terminal
descriptions that terminfo-using systems do (just in termcap format),
so you shouldn't have any problems.  If you want to be portable across
all systems, I think some commercial systems' curses libraries don't do
color, so you'll have to check for that.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com