Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:58:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   blank saver question

Hello,
I am working on adapting FreeBSD to a Compaq IA-1. The display on this
system is not DPMS compliant, so shutting off the backlight requires
writing to a PCI register.

I currently have a small C program which I can use to manipulate this
register from the command line, and I would like to either integrate, or
call, this code from the blanksaver module. Unfortunately, I don't know
enough about how it works to change it.

Could someone give me some tips on how to do this? Is it as simple as
simply adding the code to the blank_saver() function, and adding the
appropriate header and include files? I'm a bit nervous mucking in
modules, as I understand they can cause "problems" that are hard to
recover from.

If it is, this would be a good place to initialize all of the front panel
LED's as well :)

Thanks,
Seth Henry